Lower your risk of the 'nasties' by getting healthier

What does being unhealthy cost us?

These are some of the facts about what we call the ‘nasties’…. 

Doctor Wearing White Lab Coat

Diabetes*

  • For every pound we’re overweight, we increase our risk of type 2 diabetes by 4%
  • Diabetes costs the NHS £10bn per year or £1m per hour!Source: Diabetes UK  more
  • Diabetes accounts for 10% of the NHS budget. Source: Diabetes UK more
  • The cost of diabetes is projected to increase to £17bn over the next 25 years!Source: Diabetes UK more
  • Diabetes threatens to ‘bankrupt’ the NHS within a generationSource: Barbara Young, Chief Executive, Diabetes UK  more

* About 90% of sufferers have Type 2 diabetes, which is linked to the increase in obesity, which is mostly preventable by living a healthy lifestyle.  The other 10% have Type 1 diabetes, this is a non-preventable autoimmune condition.

Surgery operation

Heart Disease

  • Piling on as little as 4lbs can raise the risk of heart attack by 17%  Source:  Research study Uppsala University, with Imperial College London and the University of Oxfordmore
  • 80% of premature deaths from heart disease and stroke are preventable.  Source: WHO Europemore
  • The total cost of premature death, lost productivity, hospital treatment and prescriptions relating to cardiovascular disease is estimated at £19 billion each year.  Source: British Heart Foundationmore
  • Every three minutes someone suffers a heart attack.  Source: British Heart Foundationmore
  • Diabetes will increase your risk of heart disease by 48%.  Source: NHS Choicesmore
GP with patient

Other statistics…

  • Deaths from alcohol related liver disease have increased by 450% in the last 30 years!Source: The British Liver Trustmore…
  • The UK is below average in terms of healthy life expectancy compared to other EU countries, we’re 14th out of 19 countries.Source: Global Burden of Disease Study more
  • More than 4 in 10 cancer cases could be prevented by lifestyle changes.  Source: Cancer Research UKmore…
  • In 2012, we were the THIRD laziest country in Europe after Serbia and MaltaSource: The Lancet more
  • World Health Organisation report: 74% of men and 64% of women in UK to be overweight by 2030  Source: WHO Europemore 
  • Only 1 in 4 adults and 1 in 5 children eat their recommended FIVE portions of veg and fruit a day.  Source: British Heart Foundationmore

This isn’t good reading is it?

 unhappy_smiley

What is the cost of being healthy?

Zesty Lady

A bit of time, effort, right advice and planning

Remember PREVENTION is BETTER than CURE!

What can you do?

  1. Learn how to get a better night’s sleep, eat a healthier diet, do more exercise and reduce your stress levels.
  2. Every pound you lose, you are reducing your risk of serious illness or disease – type 2 diabetes 4% and heart disease 4.25%.
  3. Start taking action sign up for our FREE ‘Get zesty in 30 days health challenge’ and join us on 01 September 2016!

PS:  You can start getting healthy now, you don’t have to wait until Zestember!

3Sign up and get your copy of the 'Get zesty 30 day health challenge' and the latest news from Zestember!

We don't like spam, so we promise not to fill up your inbox with lots of unnecessary mail.  However, you might receive a few more emails from us in Zestember as that's when all the action's happening!